Wednesday, October 27, 2010

How to register at the FRRO

I had to go register at the FRRO, even though I am on a 10 year tourist visa, because you need a residence permit in order to apply for the Entry (X) visa conversion. This is what I had to do:

  • Bring 4 Indian size passport photos
  • 2-3 copies of your passport (first page, address page, visa page, and stamp page)
  • address proof
Here they will give you 1 or 2 pages, that you have fill out again the customary 2-3 times.

The information you will need to fill out is (and this is directly from my copy of my residence permit, so it may vary from place to place):

  1. Name
  2. Father's / Husband's name (in this case I gave my husband's name)
  3. Sex, height, and hair color
  4. Date and place of birth
  5. Present nationality and previous nationality (if any)
  6. Manner and date of acquiring present nationality
  7. Address of last residence outside of India
  8. Address in India (with telephone number, if any. There are also options for a temporary address, such as hotel, and permanent address)
  9. Profession and Occupation
  10. Have you served in Military, Navy, or Airforces or its reserves in any country? If the answer is yes, give the details
  11. Number, date & place of issue of Visa, Date up to which visa is valid
  12. Number, date & place of issue of passport, date up to which passport is valid, particulars of other proof of identity
  13. Port of place of embarkation or departure for India
  14. Date and place of arrival in India. Flight No.         
  15. Purpose of visit in India (tourist/business/employment/study/others/specify)
  16. Places previous registration in India, if any
  17. Name of husband/wife/children and their nationality (if accompanying the visitor)
  18. Signature of the foreigners
Here we gave them :

  • passport photos of me
  • copy of my Indian bank account passbook
  • and many other address proofs
  • copy of marriage certificate
  • copies of husbands voter ID card
We gave all our papers and they told us to come back in 2 weeks. There may be a police check required, but it never happened for us. 


  1. Chanacoffee,

    This is one reason why I love reading all these blogs. We all go through experiences that others can learn from or contribute to, and it's so great that you've been putting stuff up on here about the FRRO, visas, etc. This can all be very confusing and it's nice to know how someone marrying an Indian went through it all successfully! :-)

  2. Aman,

    I can't say I can really take credit for getting it done, since DH is the one who did all the talking and paper-shoving-under-noses from his 3-4 inches of papers...all I did was hand my passport to the FRRO guy... ;-)

    I should be starting my visa processes soon and then will be able to blog more about how the visa conversion process happens in India!

  3. Hi I just found out about your blog through the Desi blog ring, I'm a Swiss girl married to an Indian living in India.
    Haven't you applied for a PIO card? When you are married to an Idnian citizen you automatically become eligible to be a "person of Indian origin" it's a 15 years validity period card that grants you the right to come in and out of India without a visa and work without having to get a work permit or visa as well, the only two thing you can't do is buy land and vote with that thing. I would ask the FRRO about it, though they might at first say it is not done, also contact your embassy they might know a thing or two about it.
    I got mine while living in India, it takes as much paperwok as converting a visa, but then you are free to do whatever.