Wednesday, April 02, 2014

Swimming adventures

So, in an effort to get some exercise (and within the standards that are allowed by my knees) I decided to start swimming. I wanted to this last year, but then I was informed that all of the swimming "clubs" had stopped taking applications. This year I made extra sure to get my application in on time. The club I chose was Anderson, or ILSS, since some of our goods friends are members there.

I got the application on the 10th (cost 60 rupees / $1) and had to hand it in on the 18th. I had to give 2 passport photos and have a doctor "sign" my medical release. This meant I went to the club's doctor and paid him 25 rupees (50 cents) and he just signed the paper. I handed it in and paid my Rs 2000 ($33.39) and was given a receipt and told to come back on the 18th for my ID card.

At this point, I also had to purchase a suit from them since they require that all suits have the 'ILSS' logo or else they won't be allowed in the pool. Plus a retarded looking shower cap with ties...yeah, I'm sure we all look pretty sexy.

The pool is divided into 2 sections (length wise) and separated by some sprinklers that shoot up, so that the kids that are learning to swim don't get run over. Otherwise the other half of the pool is up for grabs and most people swim laps.

So, I've learned (after 2 days of swimming) that is going to be easier on me if I start to just wear my suit to the pool and change after, since there is always a rush for the bathroom for showers and changing. I also learned the 1st day that I should get out a few minutes early in order to have the bathroom free so I don't have to wait in line to change into dry clothes.

Anyways, back to today. I'm sitting on the bench waiting patiently for my turn to change. Next to me is this older lady who all of a sudden takes off her salwar bottoms. I'm thinking okay, she's just getting ready to go to the bathroom to change. Then I realize you can see her panties and I'm like grossed out. So...next thing I know she's draping her upper body with her dupatta and then all of a sudden the suit is going up the legs and the kurta is coming off. Thankfully she's still covered with her dupatta, and bam! She's changed. Mind you the room is full of small girls...no boys, but still? Come on lady!

Then across the room I see this other lady pulling off her pants. Fine, her kurta covers her butt and all so no wardrobe malfunctions. Then I saw her holding up her pants and carefully pulling her panties out of the pants. Yuck!

9 comments:

  1. LOL! The ideals are definitely different in India. At least she was trying to remain covered while it all was going on but still, she could have waited or found a secluded corner, held up something to block the view, etc. I feel bad for you. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm..wear the swimsuit under your clothes, at home. Like under a dress. Then yank it off at the pool. You don't need to spend more than 5 seconds at the changing room. I am a Bengali, I have never seen things like these. Or maybe I was just scared to look. It was nasty :( sorry. Also never sit beside fat old ladies who are going to squeeze inside a swimsuit. Anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eh, these days I try to get there early by like 5...and then try to skip the line, and so far have had no problems changing before. But if it doesn't continue, then i'll start wearing my suit under my clothes (again...) even though I sweat like nothing else

      Delete
  3. I am swimming at ILSS too and yes changing is a pain. Many wear their swimsuit under their clothes but I am too uncomfortable to do that. I arrive early to get a free changing room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Pidgeonheadophobia

    Yeah, I've tried to wear my suit a few times, but the trickles of sweat drive me craaaaaazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's different in different countries. Here in my local pool in England, some people go into cubicles and others just strip off in the communal area and even shower naked. It varies a lot as to what people think is a normal way to behave, even within a country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It was like that in the US...but here, yeaaaah, it's mostly kids :D

      Delete
  6. I heard of the similar thing happening in Amritsar, Golden temple. Inside the golden temple complex, you have the huge 'sar' or the lake where people take bath. Males take bath in the open parts of the lake (behind the towels of course), but there are two rooms for female devotees to bathe in the lake.
    What my gf narrated to me was similar to the above stuff. Due to the huge number of people, the women inside the room don't wait to go inside the changing room, instead just open up everything (YES, EVERTHING) and change. And it seems to be a common practice there. They are changing inside the female changing rooms, where no males are there but still...
    Both me and my gf had the same expression: Yuck!

    ReplyDelete

Father in law...Final Day

FIL has passed away. He had been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer before the Durga Puja holidays and we then pursued another opinion befo...